November 30, 2018
Masala Butternut Squash Soup
Ready in 40 minutes
Serves 6 people
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil of choice
- 4 cups butternut squash (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 small onion
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 2 cups filtered water
- Heat ghee in a large pot over medium heat.
- Dice onion and add to pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until slightly translucent.
- Crush and chop garlic. Add to pot and cook until fragrant.
- Dice squash and carrots. Add to pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and spices and mix well to coat vegetables. Continue cooking without stirring too frequently*.
- Add water, then scrape bottom of pot with wooden spoon. Add coconut milk and stir thoroughly.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer to blend and mix until smooth.
- Serve with coriander, lime juice and plain yogurt if desired.
*Once the spices are in, avoid stirring too frequently. You want the mix to stick to the bottom of the pot a little bit.
If you want to make this a meal, add 1 cup of rinsed red lentils after step 6.