October 30, 2016
Creamy, Coconut Coffee
There are two things we know… 1- Morning don’t begin until a cup of coffee is in hand and… 2- Coconut oil is full of health benefits and can be incorporated into nearly every facet of self & home care.
Today I would like to share one of the fun ways I encourage my clients to incorporate coconut oil in their day. This swap allows for cutting down/ eliminating the use of half & half or sugary coffee creamers in the mornings, with a play on “Bullet Proof Coffee,” allowing them to enjoy a delicious, frothy latte style drink EVERY morning!
Coconut oil contains MCT’s- Medium Chain Triglycerides, a medium length fatty acid chain, which our body metabolizes differently. Our body uses MCT’s as a source of quick energy. It is a fat that does NOT increase our LDL (the “bad “ cholesterol) and also has the element of satiating our appetite.
In the past few years, many have heard of or tried the “Bullet Proof Coffee” trend. Quickly explained, it is black coffee blended with grass-fed butter and MCT oil, resulting in a frothy cup of morning goodness. While it does tout many benefits (satisfy appetite, provide MCT’s), there is really no peer related review literature to back these claims. At face value, it does require you to add potentially HUNDREDS of calories into your mug of coffee by way of tablespoons of butter and MCT oil.
I wanted to lighten this up a bit for my clients, allowing them to obtain some morning MCTs AND CUT THE COFFEE CREAMER, while still enjoying their morning cup of Joe… While not tanking their calorie goals with a 400-calorie mug of coffee.
Our tried & true recipe for “Lightened Up Dairy Free Coffee” is as follows:
- ½ tbsp. Organic Virgin Coconut oil
- Splash Vanilla extract, sprinkle of cinnimon (optional, to taste)
- 1/4c Almond Milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
- Coffee, fresh & hot
- Into Ninja blender cup, add: almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla/ cinnamon (if desired), and about ½ c HOT coffee.
- BLEND until coconut oil is emulsified and all liquid is evenly combined.
- Pour mixture into daily coffee cup.
- Top mixture with hot, fresh, black coffee to the top of the mug.
- ENJOY your creamy, foamy, frothy cup of dairy free coffee!
Blog Entry #3 – 10.31.2016