April 17, 2019
Sitting around with my girlfriends one night, we decided to create a recipe to use what I had in the fridge. What was in there was our main ingredient – 2 bunches of spinach. There is an abundance of ways to use this superpower green leafy goodness (iron, fibre, and calcium oh my!) but we went with creating a soup – for the soul – as it was created by some really great friends with love.
Spinach Soup For The Soul
- 2 bunches of fresh spinach
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno with or without seeds depending on the level of spice you want
- 1 roasted garlic head
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 can of coconut milk (optional but makes it nice and creamy!)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the top off of the garlic so each clove is exposed, place it in tinfoil and lightly pour olive oil over the top.
- Enclose the garlic in the tinfoil and bake for 40 minutes or until garlic is soft and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a big pot on medium heat, add the coconut oil and onions. Cook onions for about 3 minutes.
- Add the jalapenos and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the spinach is wilted. Let it simmer for at least an hour to let the flavours come together. Blend until smooth with a hand blender in the pot or transfer to a blender.
- Garnish with pumpkin or sesame seeds and/or dairy-free yogurt (depending on your dietary choices!)