February 27, 2020
SLEEP….we all need it, we all do it, BUT sometimes we don’t get the amount or quality of sleep we need to function optimally each day.
Proper sleep is essential and here are just a few reasons why sleep is so important:
- It helps support a healthy immune system.
- It assists your body in healing and decreases inflammation.
- It allows for better concentration, increased cognition, and improves memory.
- Increases stamina and athletic performance.
- It helps maintain healthy blood pressure.
- It helps to regulate the hormones that control appetite, therefore, maintaining a healthy body weight.
Thankfully there are many interventions that can be incorporated into your bedtime routine that can help you achieve a restful sleep.
5 Tips to Help You Sleep Better
- Go to bed around the same time each night (yes even on weekends). Ensure the room is dark and slightly cool.
- Diffuse lavender essential oil in the room and/or put a couple of drops on your pillow. Lavender is a great essential oil to use for relaxation.
- Sip on a nighttime tea made with herbs such as Valerian and/or Chamomile. These herbs promote relaxation and sleepiness.
- Try taking Magnesium before bed. Magnesium is known for its calming effects and it relaxes the muscles in our body.
- Meditate. Calming the mind can be hard to do at the end of a long day – meditation can help calm the mind and prepare the body for deep relaxation and a sound sleep.
Good Night & Sweet Dreams!