February 27, 2020
Like all parents, I want to feed my children the best that I can, and I am thankful that my two boys enjoy trying new foods with lots of variety. That being said, they are still kids who LOVE treats – and not all treats are created equal! The bright packages of candy they see in the stores are often filled with a bunch of questionable (if not toxic) ingredients like corn syrup, artificial colours and refined sugar.
Admittedly I have a sweet tooth too, so we decided to try to make our own candy at home – with healthful ingredients and definitely no loss of flavour!
I love using gelatin – the health benefits are many. Just take a look:
Benefits of Gelatin
- Promote digestion and gut health
- Can good for your skin
- Help strengthen joints and connective tissue
- It might even help with sleep quality
Healthy Gummy Treats
- 1 cup Juice
- 1-2 tbsp Raw Honey
- ¼ cup Gelatin*
*I use Great Lakes Grass-Fed Gelatin
Makes 40 gummy bears
- Take half the liquid and mix in the gelatin. This will allow it to ‘bloom’ and absorb the liquid.
- In a pan warm up the other half of liquid and mix in the honey.
- Once your honey has melted you can add the gelatin mixture to the pan.
- Now the bloomed gelatin will dissolve and you can fill the moulds.
- When your moulds are full they can be put in the fridge to refrigerate. This doesn’t take long – half an hour should be enough.
Making these gummies is fun and my kids love coming up with new ideas for flavours – the possibilities are endless! You can use fruit puree, coconut milk, vegetable juice, add spirulina/chlorella powder, and even spices to increase the health and flavour benefits.