May 28, 2019
My favourite breakfast on a spring or summer morning is a smoothie. They are quick and easy, I can drink them on the go, and I can pack a bunch of nutritious foods into them which is such a positive way to start the day. This recipe has leafy greens rich in vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium. The avocado, chia and flax seeds all provide healthy fats. Ratios of omega 3 and 6 are something to be aware of as we tend to get more omega 6, so it is important to include both in our diet. Measurements in this recipe do not really matter – just use as much of each as you like to get the flavour and texture that you love.
Green Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 cup water or your choice of liquid.
- 1 frozen banana – Because what is a breakfast smoothie without banana?
- ½ cup frozen pineapple – I like pineapple because its flavour seems to stand up to the other ingredients. I have used other fruits like berries and mango but their flavour just gets lost in the greens.
- ¼ avocado (fresh or frozen) – High in omega 6. I like the creaminess it adds since I do not care for plant-based milk in my green smoothies.
- 1 tbsp flax seeds – Great for omega 3’s and fibre.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds – Such a great superfood. They are high in omega 3 and protein.
- 1 scoop collagen peptides – This is not necessary but I like to add collagen to my diet. You can personalize this recipe by adding whatever supplements that suit your needs.
- 2 handfuls of leafy greens – I like spinach or a combination of spinach and kale.
- Blend and enjoy!