March 12, 2019
Looking for a lemony indulgence? Look no further.
Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourite desserts. I love the tangy freshness in every bite. This recipe has become my go-to for family gatherings like Thanksgiving (my birthday), Christmas and Easter. The pie crust is like a healthy cookie, low in carbs but big in taste.
The honey blends nicely with the lemon flavour reminding me of sunshine in my mouth.
Guilt-Free Lemon Meringue Pie
Almond Flour Crust
- 1.5 Cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter
- Mix until blended.
- Roll between 2 sheets of wax paper.
- Line pie plate and bake until golden brown.
- 6 Large eggs – yolks
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/3 C fresh squeezed lemon juice (organic lemons)
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 C butter cut into small chunks
- In a double boiler gently simmering water, not to boiling.
- Whisk in egg yolks, honey, lemon juice, filtered water, zest and vanilla until well blended.
- Slowly add the butter, 2-3 pieces at a time, while constantly whisking, adding more chunks as they melt until all the butter has been incorporated.
- Once all the butter has been incorporated, cook an additional 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the lemon mixture thickens to a custard type consistency. Refrigerate to cool, until cool to touch but not cold and add to crust.
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tbsp honey
- Beat egg whites until peaks form.
Carefully adding honey and beat until combined.
Spread over the pie.
Bake at 350 F 20 mins until meringue starts to brown.