June 19, 2020
I like to use this smoothie when my body starts to feel sluggish and in need of an extra boost of nutrients. I recently had a rough sinus infection which landed me on 2 different antibiotics and a steroid. Needless to say, my gut is in some serious need of a healthy, renewed flora.
I just want to talk a little bit about some of the ingredients and why I chose them for this smoothie. First and foremost, I love hemp protein. It’s a complete protein, meaning it contains 20 amino acids that make-up protein, it helps fight sugar cravings which are great for the use of this recipe because sugar feeds harmful bacteria, and it’s high in fibre which improves digestion. Ginger acts as a digestive aid and an antibacterial agent, cinnamon has anti-fungal properties, yogurt contains friendly strains of bacteria.
Let’s dive in!
Happy Gut Smoothie
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I use store brand Almond milk)
- 1 banana, frozen in chunks
- 1/4 unsweetened non-dairy yogurt (I use Kite Hill)
- 1 cup of frozen mixed berries
- 1 scoop or 1/4 cup plant-based protein powder (I use Hemplete’s hemp protein)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Add all of the ingredients to your blender, blend until smooth, and enjoy! I like to top mine with a sprinkle of chia seeds, but only a little bit since they do contain additional fibre and I already used hemp for that.