October 16, 2019
These no-bake cacao brownie bars are a little slice of heaven. Cacao powder, which is cold-pressed to retain nutrients and flavour, has so many health benefits! Here are just a few reasons you should incorporate this superfood into your diet:
- A significant source of magnesium, an important mineral for healthy heart function and natural relaxation
- Source of fibre which aids in healthy digestion
- Contains the trace mineral chromium, which helps balance out blood sugar levels
- Contains serotonin and tryptophan which improves mood
These bars are so simple to make and ready to serve in under an hour! The perfect afternoon pick-me-up to enjoy with a cup of tea.
No-Bake Cacao Brownie Bars
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 tsp water
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, dark or semi-sweet
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, for sprinkling on top
- Himalayan pink salt, for sprinkling on top
- Line a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Start by making the brownie base. Add the nuts to a large food processor first. Layer the pitted medjool dates on top; then the unsweetened shredded coconut, cacao powder, pure vanilla extract, and sea salt. Process on low speed or pulse until the mixture resembles coarse gravel.
- On low speed, add a 1/2 tsp of water at a time until the mixture sticks together.
- Turn the mixture out onto the lined baking dish and press into the pan evenly. Place in the fridge while you make the ganache.
- Melt the chocolate chips, almond milk, and maple syrup in a small saucepan on low heat. Stir constantly to avoid burning the chocolate. Once the chips are melted and the texture is smooth, pour the chocolate mixture over your brownie base and smooth out evenly. Place in the fridge for 3 minutes before sprinkling with Himalayan pink salt and shredded coconut.
- Place in freezer to set for 20 minutes, then cut into bars.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.