October 10, 2019
Sweet tooth alert!
Aren’t we are all seeking those healthy snack recipes that can replace our old cheat foods? Search no further! Chocolate lovers alike will find this recipe for fudgy avocado brownies a savoury saviour for all your dessert needs. Not only do these brownies leave you feeling warm, content, and satisfied, they also pack a punch of health benefits, making your comfort food a little more comforting.
Benefits of Avocados:
- Great source of healthy monounsaturated fats
- A heart healthy and heart happy food
- Contain 20 different vitamins and minerals
- High in Vitamin K – good for blood clot reduction
- High in Vitamins C and E – powerful antioxidants for skin, hair, and eyes
- High in Potassium – helps reduce blood pressure
- A healthy choice of fiber (7g)
- High in potassium
- Cancer-fighting benefits
- Lowers cholesterol
Avocados are a super food for a super you!
Oh So Fudgy Avocado Brownies
Total time: 1 HR 30 MINS (includes prep and baking time)
Makes: 16 – 20 brownies, 1 baking pan (approx. 8×8)
- 1 large avocado (or 1 and a half for extra fudgy texture)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- For dairy free: replace unsalted butter with coconut oil
- For animal by-product free: replace 2 eggs with 1/2 cup of mashed banana
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8×8” baking pan with parchment paper. Allow parchment paper to hang over both side. This will allow you to lift your brownies out with ease.
- Peal and pit your large avocado.
- Place the avocado, eggs, coconut sugar, maple syrup, butter, and vanilla in a food processor. Process until smooth with all ingredients fully blended in.
- Once all chunks are smoothed out, add the cocoa powder, almond flour, baking soda, and salt to the food processor. Continue processing until smooth.
- Add 1/4 of the chocolate chips and mix in to batter so evenly distributed.
- Transfer batter into pan and smooth the top.
- Add the other 1/4 of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Check your brownie consistency by sticking a toothpick into the center of your brownies. The toothpick should come out clean with no wet batter showing on it.
- Remove your brownies from the pan and let cool on cooling rack.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Tip: Don’t be afraid to refrigerate and reserve the next day as it can improve the texture and consistency of the brownies!
*NOTE*: For my vegan friends, I have also used the recipe in the website link that follows for vegan avocado brownies and they are also delicious!
May wellness be with you.