December 1, 2017
A new twist on an old favourite sure to add an unexpected pop of colour and excitement to any holiday gathering!
Purple Sweet Potato Pie
- 3/4 Cup granulated coconut sugar
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Large eggs**
- 2 Cups purple sweet potatoes (mashed)
- 1 Can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk**
- 1 Unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
- Whipped cream (Optional)
**As I tend to gravitate towards organics, I personally use organic evaporated milk and a fairly traditional (with a healthy swap or two) homemade pie crust. However, if you’re seeking a more vegan friendly alternative, in addition to several egg alternatives, there are many non-dairy alternatives for the evaporated milk now on the market as well, such as an organic evaporated coconut milk that also works just as well.**
- BAKE or boil and mash sweet potatoes.
- MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in sweet potato and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. (For a smooth texture/consistency I combined the mashed sweet potatoes and evaporated milk in my food processor to blend thoroughly before adding other ingredients.)
- POUR into pie shell.
- BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.