May 1, 2019
This is a simple pesto that can be made in minutes, and that I am also making nut free! (you, of course, can use walnuts or pine nuts or any nut you prefer!) You can also mix is up by using arugula or cilantro. Anything works!
With spring just around the corner, it is a great use of all the fresh herbs coming up, and one of my favourites, basil. Packed with protein, B vitamins, and healthy fats, enjoy this with pasta, pizza, and even salads.
Raw, Vegan Pesto
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups packed fresh basil (stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds (or nuts or your choice)
- 3 -5 large cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast.
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-6 Tbsp water (plus more as needed) depending on personal liking
- Add everything but the oil and water in a food processor or blender and mix until a paste forms.
- Add oil slowly, little by little, while scraping down sides of the processor as needed.
- Add your water, 1 Tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Can be stored in the fridge for a week.
- Makes approximately one cup of pesto.