May 1, 2017
Yes, Summer is almost here… Finally.
Outside, the sun is shining and as the warm breeze provides that much needed pick me up after a cold and wet spring spent hibernating in front of the tv or perusing the pages of a good book, I can’t help but wonder, what’s for dinner tonight? It’s the question that never seems far from my mind, the minute I jump out of bed in the morning – Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall.
Call it neurotic or planning ahead, I dread the supper time rush of trying to plan and cook a healthy meal in under 30 minutes (grrr), okay maybe 45 minutes. Yes, it is possible but I still think it comes down to being organized and having the right ingredients on hand. Let me correct that: healthy ingredients on hand aka fruits and veggies. They are simple AND nutritious. Although I’m not a vegetarian (I consider myself to be a flexitarian), I relish the thought of eating a meatless meal from time to time. Light yet still satisfying, a perfect fit for meatless Mondays!
Looking through my refrigerator, I’ve gathered what I happen to have on hand. With a little bit of slicing and dicing, I know I will have a fabulous meal prepared in no time at all. Feel free to do the same using the veggies you prefer or have on hand.
I’ve also added a pasta salad to the mix as I always have noodles on hand. Try to opt for whole grain to get more fiber and nutrients into your diet. As for the type of pasta, choose whatever you like best. I happen to think fusilli pasta is tasty and fun and looks lovely in terms of presentation.
No matter what, build the veggie skewers and the pasta salad to your own tastes and you will have a fantastic meal worth sharing with friends and family. That’s what it’s all about.
**A lot of supermarkets take care of the prepping so it’s quite easy to find a lot of fruit and vegetables that are already cut up for you.**
Sandra’s Summer Time Salad And Skewers
- 6-8 wooden skewers, soaked in water (while prepping the following ingredients)
- 2 peppers, any colour, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup of button mushrooms, left whole
- 2 zucchinis, sliced into thick medallions
- 1 250g package of halloom cheese, cut into large cubes
- 2 small peaches, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple, cut into large cubes
- Thread the above ingredients onto the skewers, alternating between the fruits, vegetables, and cheese.
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T orange juice
- 1 t organic cane syrup sugar or agave
- 1 t smoked paprika
- ½ t chipotle pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the above marinade ingredients together and glaze over vegetable skewers. Add additional glaze during the cooking process.
- Grill on medium to high heat for 5-7 minutes
Add the following to a large bowl:
- 1 cup of whole grain fusilli pasta, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup cucumbers, diced
- ½ cup canned chick peas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup red onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T white wine vinegar
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 t fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 t organic cane syrup sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients together in a small jar and shake. If using a bowl, combine all ingredients minus the olive oil. When the other ingredients are blended, slowly add the olive oil in a stream while whisking the ingredients together. Add to the pasta salad and toss until coated.
Happy Healthy Summer Eating!