March 18, 2021
A plant-based take on a delicious classic, and one of my favourite meals! This is a simple recipe made with pantry staples and packed full of flavour and nutrients- guaranteed to satisfy everyone, whether they’re plant-based eaters or not!
Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 block firm tofu (chopped)
- 1/2 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
Chipotle Avocado Dip
- 1 medium avocado, mashed
- 3 tbsp vegan chipotle mayo
- Heat a large pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil and add the onion. Sauté until onions are cooked.
- Pre-heat oven for 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add sweet potato and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add remainder of ingredients (minus the cheese) and spices and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Assemble tortillas on a baking sheet and add sweet potato filling, then top with grated cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top and bake for 10-15 minutes (or until tortillas are golden), flipping halfway through.
- While quesadillas are baking, mash up avocado and mix with chipotle mayo.
- Allow quesadillas to cool and cut into quarters using a pizza cutter.
- Dip into avocado mayo and enjoy!
*The filling mixture may make extra, I like to put in a container and freeze for future quick meals!
*Filling can also be placed on top of mixed greens or rice to make a delicious taco salad or burrito bowl!