September 25, 2017
I was always under the assumption that meat was the easiest way to incorporate protein into my diet. Wrong! Here are some meal or snack ideas that are all healthy protein choices, minus the meat.
5 Healthy Non-Meat Protein Choices
- Make your own trail mix – throw together a bunch of raw seeds and and raw nuts, for example pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, and cashews. Grab a handful for a mid morning or mid afternoon pick-me-up! Avoid roasted & salted nuts.
- Swap out rice for quinoa – quinoa is one of the few grains that contains all the essential amino acids. Use it in salads or in place of rice or pasta.
- Green Drinks – an excellent protein source. Make your own or hit up your local smoothie bar. The “Green Goddess” at Whole Foods is my personal fav!
- Soybeans – try some steamed edamame with some sea salt sprinkled on top as a delicious and protein rich snack.
- Chili! Make some vegetarian chili for lunch or dinner. You can put whatever beans you like, but I suggest garbanzo, kidney and black beans. Mix beans with different vegetable protein foods such as grains to get a complete protein.