February 7, 2019
Healthy Homemade Turkey Burgers
The words healthy and homemade often scare people off. Visions of spending hours in the kitchen come to mind, so instead store-bought or take out just seem easier. But, healthy and homemade does not have to equal hard and time-consuming. A big part of making healthy and homemade easy is always having some basic ingredients on hand that are easy to repurpose into a number of different dishes. Take these Healthy Homemade Turkey Burgers, for instance, every ingredient is something I always have available in my kitchen, or if I do happen to be missing something, they are easily customizable through subbing in a different ingredient for a slightly different flavour. So, for a quick, healthy homemade meal that comes together in about 30 minutes, give these turkey burgers a try.
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Put everything together in a large bowl and mix it all together with your hands.
- Form the mixture into 1/2 inch patties (makes about 4-6 patties depending on how large you like them).
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat with olive oil or avocado oil.
- Place the patties in the pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping every couple of minutes until browned on both sides.
- Enjoy them immediately with a whole grain bun, in a lettuce wrap, or just on their own.
- Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a few days or freeze well for a couple of months.
Quick, simple, healthy and homemade. Enjoy!