May 23, 2019
Who doesn’t love banana bread? The smell of it baking fills the home with the most welcoming aroma. While most recipes are filled with saturated fats and loads of sugar, with a few ingredient tweaks, banana bread can be healthy and still moist and delicious. This recipe uses natural unprocessed sugar, is high in fibre, and contains Omega 3 fatty acids.
Healthy Omega Banana Bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted (feel free to substitute nut butter for the coconut oil for an even richer treat!)
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, milk or nut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 3 medium or 2 large
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or dark chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In one bowl combine all dry ingredient together and set aside.
- Next, mash up your bananas, add in the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and greek yogourt and mix well.
- Add dry mixture slowly into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Then add in any mix-ins you would like such as walnuts or dark chocolate.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9×5 loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside and cool for 30 minutes before slicing