February 7, 2019
Rice And Mixed Bean Casserole
Let’s be honest we all love a good casserole! If your anything like me, a one pot meal is as good as it gets. If we can get both together in one meal that’s a bonus! This rice and bean dish is a childhood favourite from my mother that I tweaked a bit as I began cooking. It really is just comfort in a pan.
- 1 pound ground turkey (Or any other ground meat can be used. Also works well without meat for a vegetarian dish)
- 2 cans organic chickpeas (drained and rinsed well)
- 2 cans organic black beans (drained and rinsed well)
- 2 cans organic stewed tomatoes (Diced or crushed works best. If using whole I suggest chopping them first)
- 1 cup of rice of choice
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli powder and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet cook the ground turkey (if using) until fully cooked, (season with chilli powder and pepper).
- Add all of the beans and saute for a few minutes to heat.
- Add stewed tomatoes and all the juice in the can, add water as well as the rice.
- Stir well cover and cook on medium heat until rice is cooked. (you may need to add more water depending on how much juice come out of the tomatoes, add as needed while cooking).
*The seasoning options can be adjusted to your personal taste,
*The leftovers freeze very well. I often double the recipe and freeze individual servings for work lunches, or quick meal options for a busy day.