June 10, 2019
I have been vegan now for two years and vegetarian for even longer. I love cooking vegan and have a long list of recipes that I enjoy. When I made this transition I was living on my own and only had my own likes and dislikes to take into account. When my boyfriend and I moved in together, I was now cooking for two. The problem was he was not used to vegan food. He grew up on a beef farm and his family loves to hunt. The staple of his diet was red meat and potatoes.
Last year I was working at a restaurant and tried a version of this dish. I liked it so much I tried to recreate it at home. To my surprise my boyfriend loved it! So much so that he wants to eat it almost once a week. And the best thing about this dish, it takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 beets
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of hummus
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of dill
- 1 tsp of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the cauliflower into steaks and lay them on a sheet pan.
- Splash olive oil over the steaks and then season to your liking. We love curry but you can season the steaks with whatever you prefer. When you are happy with your seasoning, turn them over and do the same thing to the other side.
- Cook for 8 minutes, flip the steaks over and cook for another 8 minutes.
- While the steaks are cooking, peel the beets and cut into 1-inch pieces.Adding them to a boiling pot of water is the fastest way that I find to cook them but you can also roast them if you prefer.
- Cook until they are tender.
- In another pan add 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water and cook over medium heat.
- Once all the components are done, spread a healthy serving of hummus onto a plate.
- Add the quinoa and cauliflower and finish off with the beets.
Serve and enjoy!