July 10, 2013
Love, love, love healthy, homemade turkey sausage. There is so much you can do with it.
It has become a family tradition for all our holidays to use this recipe and make sausage rolls. You can also make it into a breakfast sausage. You can freeze it in patties and use them in pitas, burgers, soups, or just as a side with a salad.
2 pounds ground turkey
1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
2 teaspoons salt (I sometimes use less)
2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
a pinch of cloves
Combine all ingredients for a tasty turkey sausage. You can freeze at this point.
Here is an easy, fast and favorite soup recipe:
STEP 2: Turkey sausage soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or EVOO)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 pound turkey sausage1 liter low sodium, organic chicken broth
- 3 organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked organic brown rice or TruRoots sprouted rice and quinoa blend
- 1 bunch kale – stems removed and choppedsalt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic – use a micro plain or finely chop
- garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese
Melt coconut oil over medium heat and add finely chopped onion, carrots and celery. Simmer a few minutes. Add turkey sausage and break up into chunks while browning. Add broth, cooked rice and kale stems. Simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add fresh garlic for flavor before serving. Top with fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese.