January 26, 2021
We’ve all been there before. Mornings made up of a frantic rush to get ready and get out the door. Only to realize in your panic you forgot to eat breakfast, your growling belly acting as an intense reminder.
These breakfast cookies are the perfect solution. With nutrient-dense, energizing ingredients, they are the perfect grab and go breakfast. You are getting complex, slow-burning carbs from the oats, omega 3 fatty acids from the chia seeds, and protein in the peanut butter. Additionally, bananas are an adequate source of potassium, are rich in phytonutrients and also provide some iron, selenium, and magnesium. They add the perfect amount of sweetness, omitting the need for any added refined sugars. Suffice to say, I may have a small obsession with bananas.
Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- 3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Any add-ins you would like! (Find some recommendations below!)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas until they are smooth.
- Add in the peanut butter and vanilla extract and mix.
- Next, add all dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients.
- Mix well, and fold in your favourite add-ins!
- Scoop with a cookie dough or ice cream scooper and drop the balls onto a parchment (or silicone baking mat to limit waste!) lined baking sheet. Flatten them slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
These will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Add in recommendations
- Chocolate chips (ensure vegan if necessary)
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped dates
- Shredded coconut flakes
- Dried cranberries