April 3, 2019
A hearty helping of lentils and sweet potatoes. This vegan soup is infused with fragrant warming spices that will help support digestion. It also packs plenty of protein and fibre to keep you full for longer.
Temperatures are rising, fire up your metabolism with one last bowl of soup before spring!
Warming Spiced Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Servings: 8
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp. Madras curry powder
- 3 organic vegetable bouillon cubes, 6 cups of water
- 1 can (800ml) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup of brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- In a non-stick pan, add oil and warm over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots and spices. Stir constantly, for about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a large pot.
- Add 6 cups of water to a pot, along with sweet potatoes, lentils and tomatoes. Bring to a light boil and add bouillon cubes. Reduce heat, cover and cook until sweet potatoes and lentils are soft. About 30 minutes.
- Season with salt as needed.