January 14, 2019
Chicken Pot Pie Mix
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Combine chicken, carrots, peas, celery, smoked paprika, and thyme in a saucepan. Cover with water. Boil until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and vegetables are fork tender, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain broth (or keep for future recipe as chicken broth 🙂 ), and set aside.
- Cook and stir onions and garlic in butter in a saucepan over medium heat, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour, Himalayan salt, pepper. Slowly stir in organic chicken broth and almond milk. Simmer over medium-low heat while continuously stirring until thick, about 5-8 minutes . Mix in parsley and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place chicken mixture in bottom pie crust; pour sauce mixture over. (I had a little sauce mix leftover which I just poured of my piece when dinner time hit ;)) Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in top to allow steam to come through.
- Bake in preheated oven until pie is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving (do this or you will burn your tongue).
Almond flour pie crust
- 2 cups organic almond flour
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut flour
- 1 3/4 cups organic tapioca flour
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut sugar
- 14 Tbsp grass fed butter ( a little more than 3/4 cup)
- 2 large free range eggs
**prepare the crust first**
In a large bowl combine all ingredients except eggs to create thick crumbs, then mix in the eggs until a dough forms. You will have to get right in there with your hands and mix it all up. Gather the dough into a ball and split into two equal parts. Wrap dough balls in plastic wrap and flatten into discs. Chill in fridge while you prepare the pot pie mix.
- When the pot pie mix is ready, place parchment paper on your counter and flatten one disc over the parchment paper, using the paper will allow you to flip the dough directly into you 9 inch pie mold without breaking. Once first disc is inserted onto the pie mold, place chicken mix and pour sauce over top. Roll out the second disc, again over parchment paper and flop onto the pie. Seal edges and continue with above baking instructions for chicken pot pie.