October 31, 2017
FOOD FOR KIDS!
5 Ways To Get your Kids To Eat Healthier
- SMOOTHIES! Kids love smoothies, and this is an easy and tasty way to get in fruits and veggies in the form of a cold and frothy drink. Even for the pickiest of eaters, smoothies are usually a winner. My kids favourite is a ‘chocolate monkey’ smoothie. Combine chocolate almond milk, a frozen banana, cocoa powder and a big spoonful of almond or peanut butter.
- Don’t wait until dinner to get their ‘nutritious’ food in for the day. Instead use meal and snack times as an opportunity to get in some quality foods. Aim to incorporate at least one fruit or veggie at every meal or snack time. Even if it’s just a few blueberries at breakfast, and half an apple for a snack, and some cucumber sticks at lunch, it will add up throughout the day!
- Ask them to be your “special helper” at the grocery store, and allow them to fill up a small basket themselves with fruits and vegetables they enjoy, as well as one ‘treat’ type of food to bring home or to pack in their school lunches.
- Bake or cook with them! When kids cook, kids eat. Getting them involved in the process will help them become interested in food, and they will be more likely to eat it!
- Go raw with an evening appy! My trick to getting my kids to eat their raw veggies is to feed them an ‘appetizer’ every evening BEFORE actual dinner. 10 minutes before dinner hits the table, a platter of fresh, raw veggies comes first. My recommendations for veggies are carrot sticks (cut thin), cucumber circles, cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red peppers and yellow peppers. Kids LOVE to dip stuff, so serve the veggies with some homemade humus or ranch-style dip.