August 11, 2017
With all the negative press Coconut Oil is getting these days I thought it would be helpful to remind people of the amazing health benefits Coconut Oil has to offer.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil contains Caprylic, Lauric and Capric acid three very beneficial Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA). According to Dr. Axe these MCFAs are:
- Easier to digest
- Not readily stored as fat
- Antimicrobial and antifungal
- Smaller in size, allowing easier cell permeability for immediate energy
- Processed by the liver, which means that they’re immediately converted to energy instead of being stored as fat
Here are just some of the many health benefits of Coconut Oil:
- Immune Support– Coconut Oil’s antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral properties support the immune system. We could all benefit from more of that these days.
- Inflammation Reduction– Coconut Oils high antioxidant levels can help to reduce inflammation.
- Digestive Support– Coconut Oil’s antimicrobial properties make it great for digestive support. Caprylic Acid is often used to treat candida overgrowth one of the main causes of leaky gut. Coconut also helps the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium and magnesium.
- Weight Loss– According to Dr. Mark Hyman the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) in Coconut Oil can help you lose weight because MCT oil is quickly burned and metabolized. It gets absorbed directly from the gut into the liver and doesn’t get stored as fat but rather burned quickly and turned into energy. Consuming Coconut Oil has also been show to help reduce obesity in women.
- Hair Care– Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil has a low molecular weight, and is able to actually penetrate the hair shaft, nourishing the hair with vitamins, minerals and the medium-chain fatty acids. Coconut Oil is also the only oil that reduces protein loss in hair.
- Dental Care– The high concentration of MCFAs and antibacterial properties make it very effective in reducing oral bacteria one of the main causes of periodontal disease. Oil pulling using Coconut Oil can help remove harmful oral bacteria. Oil pulling works by cleaning (detoxifying) the oral cavity in a similar way that soap cleans dirty dishes. It literally sucks the dirt (toxins) out of your mouth and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environment that contributes to the proper flow of dental liquid that is needed to prevent cavities and disease.
- Skin Care– Coconut Oils antioxidant properties make it a great choice for stopping wrinkles and skin irritation.
Since not all Coconut Oil is created the same you want to focus on buying organic, cold pressed, virgin Coconut Oil to maximize the health benefits it has to offer.