December 28, 2021
This hearty lentil vegetable soup is a family favourite and one of my go-to recipes. It is simple to make in terms of ingredients and preparation time, and is delicious and highly nutritious!
In a few words, I would describe this soup as:
- Warm and nourishing
- Healthy and nutrient-rich (fibre, protein, vitamins, minerals)
- Satisfying and filling
When it comes to lentil soup, anything goes in terms of vegetables; and the more vegetable diversity the better! I recommend adding a grain to the soup such as barley or farro since this enhances the flavour profile, provides an added texture, and also helps thicken the soup by giving it an extra layer of creaminess.
Hearty Lentil Soup
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stock
- 2 zucchini
- 3 cups kale and/or spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, pepper, dried oregano, dried basil
- Optional: A small piece of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese rind for extra flavour
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Add them to a large pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse the lentils and farro under water and add them to the onion and garlic. Sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add 12 cups of liquid to the pot (a combination of chicken or vegetable stock and water) and the crushed tomatoes.
- Finely chop the carrots, celery, zucchini, kale, and spinach. Add the chopped vegetables along with the peas to the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, and bay leaves. Cook on medium to medium-low heat for 1.5-2 hours.
The soup does thicken as it cooks, so feel free to add more water or stock depending on your desired consistency. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!