September 5, 2019
This recipe is one of my favourites and comes from my grandmother who was an excellent baker (as most grandmothers are). I made a couple of adjustments to make these refined sugar-free and add in some whole wheat. These muffins are delicious and packed full of great ingredients. If you’re looking to get some extra fruits and veggies in your diet (or your child’s diet) these are perfect! They make a filling breakfast or snack and are easy to take on the go. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
Zucchini Carrot Apple Muffins
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple
- 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced almonds
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 cups flour (I like to do 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat or gluten-free flour)
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil (or you can substitute pureed apple sauce)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently toss together carrot, zucchini, apple, coconut, almonds, and orange zest and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Mix eggs, oil, and vanilla together and add to dry ingredients until just combined (batter will be thick).
- Fold in carrot mixture until batter comes together.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes.