September 9, 2019
Calling all pizza lovers! Let’s be real, when you are in the midst of transitioning to a whole foods plant-based diet there are certain foods that are harder to part with than others! Pizza has become one of the front-running staples of the traditional North American diet. This easy and convenient “on-the-go” food is a favourite for many. The cauliflower crust pizza is a quick and simple alternative that can save you from saying goodbye to a beloved dish.
Benefits of Cauliflower
- High in vitamins K and C – two nutrients important to bone health
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Supports immune system functioning
- High in fibre
- High in B vitamins
- Provides helpful antioxidant and phytonutrients
- Cruciferous vegetable family member – think anti-cancer benefits!
- Detoxifying for the liver
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Total time: 50 minutes to 1 hour Makes: 1 pizza crust
- 1 head of cauliflower – stalk removed
- ½ cup of mozzarella – sliced or grated
- ¼ cup of parmesan – grated
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt – preferably kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs – lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Break the cauliflower into smaller pieces and pulse in a food processor until fine.
- Steam the fine cauliflower in a steamer basket and drain well. An additional step is to then place it on a towel to soak out extra moisture.
- Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the cauliflower with the remaining ingredients: mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano, salt, garlic powder and eggs.
- Transfer this mixture to the center of the baking sheet and spread into a circle, this will be your pizza crust!
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add your chosen personally picked toppings!
- Pop back in the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
** OPTIONAL TIPS **
- If you are a whiz in the kitchen try adding some homemade tomato sauce to this recipe
- In the summer months, use home-grown garden vegetables as your primary toppings
Anyone else feeling hungry?!