February 11, 2021
This Buffalo Jackfruit “Chicken” is a great meat alternative that goes wonderfully in wraps, pasta or sandwiches, on salads or nachos, and over rice. Heck, you can even eat it plain, it’s so good! The possibilities are truly endless.
Buffalo Jackfruit “Chicken”
- 1 Can Young Jackfruit – rinsed and separated
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 1/4 White Onion
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke (optional, but adds great flavour)
- Empty your can of jackfruit into a colander in the sink and use your hands to break apart the pieces beneath running water. You want the final result to look like shredded pork or chicken.
- Fill a large halfway with water and place on medium heat
- Chop up the onion and garlic clove and add it to the pan with your jackfruit
- Add the liquid smoke (optional) and let everything simmer until the water has evaporated
- Once the water has evaporated, turn heat to low and add, the buffalo sauce, chilli powder, dill, and cumin
- Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and all pieces of jackfruit are covered in sauce (add more if you’d like)
- Remove from heat and enjoy however you’d like!
Know someone who is looking to eat less meat? Share this recipe with them!
Jackfruit is an amazingly healthy meat-alternative that can fool even the pickiest carnivores.