July 8, 2019
Growing up in a West Indian household, curry was on the menu weekly (or so it seemed). I must admit, when I left home, I didn’t cook with curry as much, but I have recently fallen back in love. The recipe below is simple and you can make a large batch for your lunches at work or dinners through the week when time is short. This can also be made vegetarian if you like as noted below.
Curry Rice, Chicken and Veggie Bowl
- 1 cup of your favourite organic brown rice
- 2 chicken breasts (organic, hormone-free preferably)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika
- 1 organic onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 2 tbsp of curry powder (season to taste)
- 1 cup of organic asparagus chopped
- 1 cup of organic mushrooms (sliced)
- ¼ cup organic chicken broth
- Cook the rice according to the package directions or according to your rice cooker if you have one.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- In a heated sauté pan, add 1TB of coconut oil and the chicken and sauté until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the saucepan and set aside. Add another 1 tbsp of coconut oil and add the chopped onion and garlic (Hint: add the onion first and then the garlic, so the garlic won’t burn). Let the chopped onion sweat for a couple of minutes and then add the curry powder. Continue to stir and add the chopped asparagus and mushrooms and sauté until the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add back in the chicken and then add the organic chicken broth, reduce the heat and let simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
- In 2 bowls, add a cup of cooked brown rice and pour the curry chicken mixture on top.
- As mentioned above, you can add/use vegetables as you like, such as broccoli, spinach, zucchini, etc. You can even leave out the rice to make this a grain-free meal.
- In addition, you can use chickpeas, rather than chicken and vegetable broth, instead of chicken broth to make this meal vegetarian.
I love recipes like this because they are easy, fast and you can add your own twist. In addition, this recipe is heavy on the vegetables, something we can all benefit from. I hope you enjoy this Curry Rice, Chicken and Veggie Bowl.