February 22, 2021
Are you a fan of nut butter?
Personally, I could eat it with everything. On my toast, in my smoothies, eat it by the spoon and the list goes on.
Not only nuts are a good source of protein, healthy fats, fibre and nutrients, they also taste delicious when slightly roasted in the oven and turned into butter.
What I like about making my own nut butter is I can control exactly what I put in it. For example, if you buy regular peanut butter at the store and you don’t read the ingredient list carefully, chances are there will be added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, corn maltodextrin, hydrogenated oils etc. In addition to being a better choice for your health, it tastes so much better.
All you need are your favourite nuts and a food processor or blender.
In this recipe, I’m adding a mix of nuts but you could always use only one or two kinds.
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1 cup of pecans
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Start with roasting your hazelnuts separately.
- Place them on a baking tray in the oven at 300F for 15 min until they start peeling.
- Let them cool down and then remove the peel using a dry dishcloth.
- Roast the rest of the nuts for 10-12 min until lightly browned.
- Leave to cool down.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Start slow and increase speed. As you go you’ll need to stop 1-3 times to scrape down the sides and keep blending.
- After 5 minutes you will get a beautiful smooth butter.