November 14, 2019
When I think of a traditional smoothie, I think of a thick, creamy drink made with raw fruit, vegetables and usually some kind of dairy product blended together. Usually quite heavy in sugar and calories. I’ve found that a simple nourishing smoothie consisting of only fruits, vegetables and water, can be a healthier alternative. Typically, this will result in a pulp rich texture, but as preferences vary, the additional liquid can be added for your desired thickness.
Enjoy this immune-boosting, anti-inflammatory smoothie for a snack or meal!
Red Smoothie Recipe
- 2 medium beets, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium green apples, washed, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 large carrots, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled
- 1 heaping tsp turmeric
- 1 cup filtered water plus extra for desired thickness
Optional add-in: freshly ground black pepper
- Instead of water, or as a combination, use coconut water, coconut milk or any other milk
- Kale can also be substituted for the spinach
- Place all ingredients into a powerful blender and blend until smooth
- Add in additional water or liquid of your choice to achieve the desired thickness
- Keep refrigerated. Best when fresh or consume within 48 hours.