February 28, 2018
This recipe is a go-to for a post-workout meal, or even just a sweet and healthy treat! It is the perfectly sweet, filling, & nutritious; it is also very easy to customize depending on what superfood ingredients you have in the pantry. This means that you can make many variations without getting bored or splurging on extra ingredients if one runs out! This recipe makes 1 large serving that typically keeps me full until my next regular meal. If you are planning on this for a nice, light dessert it can easily be split into two satisfying servings [try serving it in a tea cup & top it with some fresh berries to impress guests ;)]. A bonus feature: all you need is a decent blender, and a spatula to scoop it out!
The superfood ingredients listed serve many purposes from adding healthy fats and fibre (chia seeds, nut butter) to hormone support (maca powder) to glucose regulation (cinnamon) to antioxidant properties (barley grass, spirulina powder).
Don’t be afraid of the rich green colour; with the addition of a good quality protein powder (I used Vega Vanilla Protein & Greens) and your favourite nut butter your taste buds will be extremely happy! My version tasted like a peanut butter milkshake!
VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE & can be nut free if you leave out the nut butter and sub-almond milk for coconut water!
Superfood Protein Pudding!
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice), divided in half
- 1 Serving spirulina powder (approximately 3-5 grams depending on brand used)
- 1 Tsp barley grass juice powder (I used Organic Traditions brand)
- 1 Tsp maca powder
- 1 Handful baby spinach
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 Scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- Hemp seeds, coconut flakes, or nuts for topping (optional)