July 22, 2019
Hot summer days are an easy way to lose electrolytes, especially when you’re spending hours outside in the heat (eg. gardening, running errands, going to the park, etc.) Replenishing these important electrolytes is not as hard as one may think.
Electrolytes are needed to keep the fluid balance in your body (both inside and outside of your cells). A deficiency from loss of electrolytes (potassium, sodium, chloride), can lead to health problems.
For the recipe below, I opted for Himalayan salt instead of the regular table salt. Himalayan salt can be used in a number of different ways for a variety of health benefits. It contains 84 trace minerals while regular table salt just contains sodium and some iodine. You can use Himalayan salt in any dish you would use table salt in! I like to add black pepper for a little kick, but that is completely up to your taste.
This recipe is not only nutritious and packed with electrolytes, but it’s also super delicious!
- 1 1/3 cup coconut water (look for pure coconut water with no other added ingredients)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 2 oranges)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, B grade
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt (or to taste)
- black pepper to taste (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together and stir to combine.
- Pour into popsicle moulds and freeze for at least 7 hours (best done overnight).
(This recipe makes about 2.5 cups.)