February 22, 2019
I am always searching for ways to make more creative, nutritious breakfasts that make me excited to get up in the morning. Something I have been trying to do recently is to branch out from my regular everyday smoothie and try something new. My focus has been to increase my probiotic intake, while still being able to get in my usual omegas and antioxidant-rich nutrients. However, I’m not totally stoked on the idea of eating plain cultured coconut yogurt in place of my deliciously fruity smoothie. So, I decided to create an antioxidant and omega-rich granola recipe! Homemade granola was something I had yet to experiment with, so this was a lot of fun.
Each serving is packed with antioxidants from the goji berries and cranberries, and also has a 1:1 ratio of omega 3’s to 6’s. It also provides 12g of protein per serving! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free. As always, try to use as many organic ingredients as possible.
Goji and Flax Gluten-Free Granola
Makes 9 Servings (87g per serving)
- 2 Cups of Rolled Oats (gluten-free; not instant)
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- ⅓ Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- ¾ Cups Slivered Almonds
- ½ Cup Goji Berries
- ½ Cup Pepita Seeds
- ¼ Cup Dried Unsweetened Cranberries
- ⅛ Cup Flax Seeds
- ½ Tbsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- Add water as needed
- Preheat oven to 320F
- Mix the Maple Syrup, Peanut Butter, Spices, Vanilla Extract, and Salt in a saucepan over Low-Medium heat until a smooth, sauce-like consistency is reached. If it is too thick, add a splash of water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry, gently folding as you go. Once everything is thoroughly incorporated, press the mixture into a greased baking tray (which will help the granola to form into clusters).
- Place in oven for 15 min. Then flip the granola pieces (doesn’t need to be perfect) and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely.
Layer into your favourite cultured, dairy-free yogurt, and top with fresh berries for a delicious and nutritious breakfast!