What Is Holistic Nutrition?
Holistic, Integrative & Functional Health are all Words to Describe a Focus on a Natural, Root Cause Approach to Wellness. Unlike the Conventional approach, holistic health is focused on the mind, body & spirit, a healthy diet as close to its natural state as possible, while considering the individual as a whole, including all aspects of one’s lifestyle. Emotional standing and attitude are part of our focus because both also have a dramatic effect on the overall health of an individual. The mind and body have the power to both heal and cause illness.
We all need a certain balance of protein, vitamins, and other nutrients to help our bodies reach maximum energy levels and overall physical and emotional health. The central point of holistic health is on achieving lasting changes that take habits, lifestyle, and biochemical individuality into account.
Holistic Nutritionists and Nutrition Coaches are highly trained and experienced health professionals in natural health and nutrition. Holistic Nutritionists and Nutrition Coaches devise diets that match each individual’s unique health and nutritional needs in addition to promoting optimal health of all body systems through a diet of good quality, whole foods (and at times high quality supplementation if and when needed).
As it deals with the body as a whole, holistic nutrition incorporates not only the body but also the mind and spirit as well.
Holistic Nutritionists and Health Coaches also work alongside MDs, NDs, Chiropractors, and other healthcare professionals to help people bring their bodies back into balance when facing illness. We are trained to understand how symptoms are caused by a complex web of underlying imbalances; we bring diet into the therapeutic mix and work to reverse those symptoms through cellular nourishment and lifestyle changes.
A few of the many reasons people visit a Holistic Nutritionist or Nutrition Coach:
- They want to eat better but don’t know where to start
- They have, or you suspect they have food allergies or intolerance
- They have, or they suspect you have, yeast overgrowth (candida)
- They want to optimize their immune system
- They have a child with ADHD, allergies, food sensitivities, behaviour issues, or autism
- They have poor digestion (gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, cramping etc.)
- They suffer from chronic pain
- They have a gluten sensitivity
- They suspect a food allergy
- They are looking to improve ADHD symptoms
- They want to balance their hormones
- They are over or underweight
- They want to stabilize mood swings naturally
- They lack energy
- They want to adopt a specialized diet such as vegetarian or vegan
- They are or want to become, pregnant
- They have, or want to avoid, a chronic disease
- They have skin or nail problems
- They experience sleeplessness
- They suffer from stress or anxiety
- They want to detoxify
- They are recovering from addiction
We are seeing a shift from conventional medicine to alternative and complementary modalities as people are finally starting to take ownership of their health and their future.
The last few years have had unprecedented growth in the areas of health and wellness – this is great news for us and our students as we grow towards a future less focused on prescriptions and the treatment of symptoms, and more focused on the root cause of the problem from a mind/body/spirit perspective.