April 17, 2019
Summer is fast approaching and so is the season for one of my favourite foods: Watermelon. This recipe was handed down to me from my grandmother (I’ve made a couple of tweaks to make it sugar-free) and is a crowd favourite.
- 1 watermelon cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (can be substituted for sugar-free sweetening blends, we’ve used xylitol and a few others).
- 10 plus fresh mint leaves (depending on size) finely chopped.
- 1 teaspoon of tarragon
- The zest and juice of two good sized lemons
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil, turn heat to low and stir until sugar (or substitute) disappears (approx. 3-5 min) to make a syrup.
- Add the zest and juice of two lemons, mint and tarragon to syrup once it is lukewarm. Mix together well.
- Pour the marinade over the cubed watermelon and mix together in a serving bowl. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 min or until ready to be served.
- Stir well before serving to mix up the juices.
This makes a good sized serving bowl full so it is perfect for dinner parties and potlucks. Feel free to drink the juice that’s left in the bottom of the bowl. It is delicious!
These ingredients are also heavenly in a smoothie although minus the syrup amounts have to be adjusted significantly.