April 2, 2019
This salad is one of my go-to as far as an easy, fast and healthy lunch! You can swap the millet for any other grain, such as rice, quinoa or couscous if you are not gluten sensitive.
A portion of millet fills 13% of the daily phosphorus requirements. Phosphorus is the second most abundant mineral in the body after calcium. Apart from its essential role in the formation of bones and teeth, it participates among other things in the growth and regeneration of tissues and helps maintain the pH of the blood. It is also one of the constituents of cell membranes.
Millet is also a source of magnesium. A 125-ml serving of cooked millet fills about 10% of the daily magnesium requirement. Magnesium is involved in bone mineralization, protein building, enzymatic actions, muscle contraction, nerve impulse transmission, dental health, and immune system function.
Kidney beans are mainly composed of carbs and fibre but are also a good source of protein. One cup of kidney beans contains approximately 15 grams of protein, accounting for 27% of the total caloric content.
Depending on the veggies you will add, you will get many vitamins and minerals, all essential for health. Remember to use the rainbow in order to get as many micronutrients as possible. That is the real recipe for success!
Millet & Red Bean Salad
- 1 cup of millet
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1 can of kidney (red) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh or thawed)
- A bunch of chopped parsley, or to taste
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onions
- 1/2 to a cup of each vegetable cut into small pieces: sweet peas, celery, cherry tomatoes, orange peppers, red cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, or whatever you have on hand that inspires you right now!
- 1/3 cup of olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. each of dried oregano and dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the millet over low heat for 20-25 minutes, let cool and separate the grains with a fork
- During this time, cut all the vegetables into small pieces and place in a salad bowl
- Mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette
- Once the millet has cooled, mix all the ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.