July 22, 2019
This past week, my boyfriend suffered a heart scare and we found ourselves in emerge for the majority of the night. I couldn’t sleep that night and just dove into every article you could think of about holistic remedies and research studies about heart degeneration and found myself in a black hole. The next morning I told him it was time for him to try a more plant based diet. Now keep in mind we both could never imagine a life without “protein”.
I quickly realized how many wonderful ways to fuel your body without including meat in your diet, unfortunately, I had my boyfriend to convince.
So I tried to recreate his favourite food, pulled pork. I had tried to make this time and time again with jack fruit, artichokes and even seitan, but just couldn’t get it right. That being said, I’m happy to report I most definitely hit the jackpot and even had him coming back for seconds!!! So please try out this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments!!
Mushroom Pulled “Pork”
- 1 package of king oyster mushrooms or about 5 whole mushrooms (MUST BE KING OYSTER)
- bbq sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of tumeric
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- burger buns ( you could easily make this recipe gluten-free by using GF buns)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Using a fork, shred the king oyster mushrooms into a shredded “meat” consistency.
- Once shredded, put aside and chop up your 1 garlic clove and add to the pan for 1- 2 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, turmeric, rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper and allow them to saute for about 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add in the bbq sauce, I like mine saucier so I usually use about 1/2 cup or more. Use as much or as little as you like, and whatever flavour you prefer (I used chipotle BBQ).
- Mix BBQ sauce into the mushroom mixture then add about 2 large handfuls of spinach. Mix to combine and allow spinach to wilt.
- Have buns ready and scoop mushroom mixture on to one half and use whatever toppings you like! (We used pickles and coleslaw)
Serve warm and bring napkins cause these puppies are MESSY!