March 15, 2019
This breakfast recipe is super easy and one of my favourites to enjoy in the morning before a big day. It is great for growing kids, but also for adults with a busy and active lifestyle. I personally find it great for fueling my workouts, even more so than oatmeal! It is designed for optimal digestion and absorption of nutrients. I will note that the main ingredient, grape-nuts cereal, is fortified with iron, b-vitamins, zinc, and folic acid. Because of this, I would not consume daily for multiple weeks in a row, unless you are low in iron or have higher needs. Especially, I would have a caution for men that also consume a lot of meat. Even though not all of the iron is absorbed (it is non-heme iron and competes with other minerals for absorption), I still like to stay on the safe side. It is also not gluten-free. Otherwise, it is high in fibre and protein, contains no added sugar, and has no saturated fat or cholesterol.
Overnight Easy and Nutritious Breakfast
- 1/2 cup grape-nuts cereal
- 1-1 1/2 cups of plant-based milk
- 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds, flax, or hemp
- 1/2 lemon
- Mix together grape-nuts and plant milk in a bowl. Use unsweetened milk with no added sugar. I use Ripple, a pea based milk. Very nutritious and high in protein.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. This allows the grape-nuts to absorb the milk and gives it a nutty and rich flavour. It also makes the grains (wheat and barley) easily digestible and enhances nutrient bio-availability. The cereal will absorb roughly 1 cup of liquid, so I add about another 1/2 cup.
- The next day, add in raisins and your choice of seeds. This is, of course, optional and has room for experimentation. Seeds will add a great source of healthy fat and are super nutrient dense. Raisins are great for boosting calories and are a quick source of energy.
- Squeeze in the juice from half a lemon. The lemon juice will increase the absorption of iron and also aid in digestion. This is also, of course, optional. Surprisingly, it does complement the taste quite well. Other flavours, from sources such as cacao powder or cinnamon, might also be great additions.
- Mix together and enjoy!