March 12, 2019
Finding a dish that is filling, quick and satisfying for the whole family is a challenge. This recipe is great with most tubular shapes of pasta, only takes about 15-20 minutes to whip up and is high in fibre, protein and complex carbs. Feel free to make it your own by changing the vegetable to green beans, broccoli rabe, or anything else your family enjoys, the options are endless!
Pair it with a nice garden salad and voila, you have a complete and filling meal!
Pasta with Broccoli and Chickpeas
- 1 19oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups of steamed broccoli
- 454g of tubular pasta (gluten-free, spelt, whole wheat)
- 2-3 small cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp, olive oil
- 1 Cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. of organic tahini
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese to taste
- Bring one large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, while pasta cooks, add 1 cup of chickpeas, olive oil, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, lemon juice and tahini to a blender and blend until smooth in texture and set aside.
- In another large pan gently heat olive oil and add crushed garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until garlic is a light golden colour. Transfer chickpea sauce and remaining chickpeas to the pan and heat.
- Transfer cooked pasta to the chickpea sauce and toss gently to coat, you may want to add a little of the pasta water at this time if a thinner sauce is desired (this sauce thickens up as it cools). It’s at this time that you may also want to add some nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese for some extra flavour along with a light drizzle of olive oil.