August 7, 2018
I think we can all admit that among our favourite foods Mexican food ranks pretty high on the list. I mean, who doesn’t love a good Taco Tuesday?
Having to go gluten free meant having to change the ways I cooked my meals, and my beloved tacos were no exception. Luckily! There are so many great alternative options out there that make it easy and fun to still enjoy Tuesdays.
So if you’re doing the gluten free thing, or the low carb thing, or even just trying to do the healthier thing, this is a delicious substitution that will keep everyone happy.
Pepper Fajita Cups
What You Need:
- 4 Green bell peppers
- 1 Chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- Onion, chopped (optional)
- Chili Pepper
- Olive oil
- Plain greek yogurt (optional)
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds so that you’re left with a hollow “cup” and place on a baking sheet
- In a small dish, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and some garlic. Mix and generously coat the insides of the bell peppers
- Bake the bell peppers in the oven at 350 until they’re slightly soft, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan on the stove and add the shredded chicken, about a cup of salsa, a tablespoon of cumin and chili pepper, and the chopped onion. Mix thoroughly and cook until heated.
- Remove the bell peppers from the oven and fill each one with the chicken mixture
- If desired, place a spoonful of plain greek yogurt on top as a substitute for sour cream
This is a very easy recipe to switch up or include whatever additions you may like! Sometimes I like to add chopped up avocado to the finished product for an extra layer of flavor. Either way, it’s a great way to keep a favourite dish in your diet!