October 16, 2017
Is there even a better way to start your day besides Protein Pancakes? They are also great as a post-workout snack. This sweet and savoury classic is made as a healthier version of the traditional pancake, but still offers the light and fluffy texture that we all love. These protein-infused pancakes will be sure to leave you full and satisfied.
Power Protein Pancakes (or waffles) – Gluten Free
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 3-5 mins
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 2/3 cup ISO protein powder (of your choice) – Vanilla flavor is recommended.
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (Use margarine or coconut oil for dairy-free option)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour, protein, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt) in a large bowl to blend.
- Whisk almond milk, vanilla extract and egg yolks in medium bowl to blend.
- Blend almond milk mixture into dry ingredients.
- Stir in melted butter until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter in 2 additions.
- Spoon small to medium amounts of batter onto a hot and well-greased frying pan.
- Cook one side until ‘bubbles’ form, about 2-3 minutes, and then flip to cook raw side, check underside with spatula and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 1-2 mins.
- Transfer to serving dish.
- Serve warm with syrup and mixed field berries.
*This batter can be used in a waffle iron to make delicious protein waffles!