July 5, 2017
Do you have difficulties coming up with healthy snack for the kids? Don’t worry, you are not alone!! Many parents struggle with the same thing! It’s so much easier to grab something prepackaged and be done with it; believe me I get it!
But, I struggled with this quick fix…what exactly was I putting into their little growing bodies? Almost everything packaged on the shelf is laced with artificial flavors, colours, chemical sweeteners and preservatives which in turn, has changed potentially healthy choices into body damaging products that we consume.
There is nothing more in life that I want as a mother, than to ensure my children are healthy, and to provide them with a strong wellness foundation. In doing so, I do spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen trying new things, writing lunch box notes and giving fun little names to different concoctions I create.
The recipe I am going to share with you today generated after messing around in the kitchen with items already in my pantry. I started experimenting with a mixture of seeds, dried fruits, cacao and other little goodies until I found the perfect blend. Not only did my little pretties like them, but they were school friendly, AND, after sharing with their friends, finding out that they loved them too, my children were on the moon!!
Both of them came home from school asking for an extra bag to send for their buddies Johnny and Sara!! H-E-L-L-O… can you say bulls-eye!! It was a KID APPROVED NUTRITIONAL POWERHOUSE!!
Not only is it quick and easy to put together, but it is sweet, salty and full of goodness!! Pumpkin seeds, sun flower seeds, coconut flakes/chips and cacao (or dairy free chocolate chips, “Enjoy life” brand) complete in one package.
**Please note, you will NOT get the super nutrition from the chocolate chips as you will from the cacao nibs, however the nibs have a bit of an acquired taste to them**
- Both pumpkin and sunflower seeds combined, are excellent sources of fatty amino acids needed for brain function; minerals- phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, vitamins A, B, D, E, K among many others. They are high zinc, prompt strong bones and in small quantities provide a great amount of protein.
- Cacao is a superfood and full of antioxidants such as procyanidins and flavonoids. Cacao boosts energy, promotes good cardiovascular health and helps prevent anemia. It contains high levels of sulfur, magnesium and phenylethylamine which provide many benefits such as mood enhancement, focus and alertness.
- Pink Himalayan salt is made up of sodium chloride and trace minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium giving it its pink tint. Unlike regular table salt, Himalayan has less sodium and our cells absorb the minerals is very easily. Other great uses of this pretty pink salt is, bathing, cooking and curing and air purification.
- I added coconut for its exotic taste and sweetness along with its supply of amino acids, additional vitamins and minerals.
With all this goodness into one package, it absolutely needed a super fun heroic name!! “The Superman Mix” gift wrapped the parcel it just perfect, and this is how it got its title!! I really hope you and your family enjoy this little snack as much as we do. ~~ Cheers 🙂 ~~
- 1 Cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 Cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 package of Coconut chips or flakes of 1/4 cup coconut (I use the “Hungry Buddha Honey flavored coconut chips)
- 1/4 cup of cacao nibs (or dairy free chocolate chips)
- Pinch of pink Himalayan Salt
- Spray frying pan with coconut oil or avocado oil, toss in both seeds and toast for a minute or two stirring constantly, add salt.
- Cool nuts for at least and hour in fridge
- Mix cacao nibs and coconut chips in mixture and store in air tight container in fridge.
- (These will last along time refrigerated however the coconut chips will loose its crunch after a few days. This can added before your ready to eat them if you prefer the crunch)