March 30, 2019
Comforting Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 each onion, carrot and celery diced
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp each ground pepper and turmeric
- 2 – 3 tbsp curry powder
- 4 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 cup dried lentils (green or red)
- 5 cups mushroom broth plus 1 1/4 cups water mixed in
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (1 inch)
- 1 handful chopped fresh spinach (approx 1 1/2 cups)
- In a large stock pot heat oil on medium heat then add onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and curry and further sauté another minute.
- Now add your tomatoes, lentils, mushroom stock with water and almond milk and bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to a low boil over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and boil on low for another 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are tender, then add spinach and stir.
- Now give a taste, you may wish to add some salt. I usually find the mushroom stock has enough to carry the soup.
Now all that’s left is to serve and enjoy!