October 30, 2018
My favourite ice-cream flavour has always been mint chocolate chip. I have so many childhood memories of enjoying this delicious treat, and each one makes my mouth water.
However, if I ate ice cream every time I wanted it, let’s just say that it would be less than ideal for my waistline and overall health! So, to satisfy my craving for this flavour combination, I concocted an equally satisfying, yet healthy and nutritious, version of this mint-chocolatey treat.
This nutrient-packed green smoothie looks and tastes like ice cream, but is made with fresh ingredients including bananas, spinach, nut butter, and fresh mint leaves instead.
Add a vanilla or vegan protein powder of your choice to boost the nutritional value. Also, you can adjust both the type of nut butter and flavour of non-dairy milk you use to vary the flavour.
Last but not least, do not forget the chocolate! I like to use cacao nibs, but these can be substituted for chunks of dark chocolate.
Next time you have a hankering for something sweet and satisfying, reach for this super-charged smoothie in a milkshake disguise.
Decadent Choco-Mint Smoothie
- 2 large handfuls of organic baby spinach (or leafy green of choice)
- 1 tablespoon of raw organic nut butter of your choice
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk (or other nut milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao nibs or dark chocolate chunks (and a few for garnish)
- 1-2 teaspoons of organic vanilla extract
- 3 sprigs of fresh mint (or more if you like a lot of minty flavour)
- 1 small banana
- 1/4 avocado (optional)
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- 1 scoop Protein Powder (optional)
- Blend everything in a high-powered blender and garnish with cacao nibs and mint leaves
- This recipe is for one serving
- Consume this smoothie immediately to prevent nutrient oxidation
- All of the vitamins and minerals are at their best when this is super fresh
- Drink up because the oxidation process also causes the spinach to wilt and taste a little more “green” than most of us would prefer!