May 10, 2019
Just like grandma used to say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Not only does it ‘break the fast’ we’ve just had while sleeping, not having eaten for up to 10 or more hours for some people, we also re-energize our muscles and organs to be ready for a new day.
Most important is our brain. Our brain needs nutrients, particularly glucose, to function and giving it what it needs in the morning helps it function well.
Traditional breakfast for many is bacon and eggs or toast and juice or cereal and milk. Anything is better than nothing but nutrient-dense foods can be very useful for setting the tone of our appetite and energy for the day.
By eating a wholesome breakfast we can stabilize our blood glucose levels which keep our appetite at bay, keeping us feeling full so we tend to snack less. This can help stop the spikes and drops in blood sugar levels that cause hunger and fatigue as our day goes on.
Here’s a great wholesome pancake recipe that adds more nutrients than traditional pancakes which will stabilize blood sugar levels, feed our brain and fuel our body.
Healthy and Nutritious Oat Pancakes
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 4 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 4 teaspoons oat bran
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (you can use non-dairy milk if needed)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla olive, coconut or other oil to grease the pan
- In a blender, pulse 1 1/2 cups of the rolled oats until it’s finely ground.
- Add flaxseed, oat bran, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- Blend well.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, milk, eggs, honey/maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the last 1/2 cup of rolled oats.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Put a medium-sized frying pan on the stovetop. Add oil to grease the pan.
- Use 1/4 cup measure to add batter to the pan.
- Cook on one side until golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side.
Serve with yogurt and berries, fruit slices, nut butter or syrup. Or a combination of these!
You will feel satiated and energized for a new day!