April 30, 2019
We all know that the most important step in daily skin care is Cleansing. What better way than a natural cleansing method. For the longest time, I suffered from acne and rosacea (mostly due to my hormonal imbalance). I tried so many different products that were claiming to be natural, but nothing worked for me… I got fed up, so I decided to take matters into my own hands! I started researching and I came across this revolutionary method called “the oil cleansing method”.
The idea of using natural oils to cleanse the skin gently actually makes a lot of sense. The basic idea of oil cleansing is to use natural oils in specific combination to cleanse the skin and naturally balance the skin’s natural oils and PH. Many people have turned to oil cleansing as a way to gently heal and balance the PH of their skin. Using oils instead of traditional soap or detergent cleansers can also help protect the natural lipid layer of the skin and the good bacteria that live there.
The basic idea behind this method is that oil dissolves oil. In other words, the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores will dissolve when you slowly massage your skin with other oils. The steam will then open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed with a washcloth.
Now, there are a lot of different oils that you can use to oil cleanse. But the main oil that most people use is Castor oil. This oil is anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, moisturizing, hydrating and cleansing. No wonder why it is used as the base of all oil cleansing mixture. Now, as for everything you put on your skin, the oils that you use MUST be 100% pure, cold pressed, unrefined. Otherwise, it’ll bring more harm than good since it deeply penetrates the skin.
The second oil can be any carrier oil of your choice. All oils have different properties, so to each their own. I’ve tried jojoba oil (which is close to our natural skin’s sebum), almond oil, avocado oil and etc. The one that I’m currently loving is hempseed oil. Hempseed oil is high in omega fatty acids which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent while simultaneously encouraging skin growth and new cell generation. It can even help to balance out oily skin, hydrating it and regulating the skin’s oil production. This is the oil that worked for me, and it’s a journey that everybody has to undertake when it comes to finding what works best for your body chemistry, completion and health.
Natural Cleanser: The Oil Cleansing Method
- 25% of pure, cold-pressed, unrefined Castor oil
- 75% of any other pure, cold pressed, unrefined Carrier oil (personally I use hempseed oil)
- Optional: you can add 5 drops of tea tree essential oil (peppermint also work well)
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour a decent amount on the palm of your hand, and start massaging thoroughly on your skin (don’t wet skin first).
- Take your time and do not rush as this can also stimulate the blood circulation and is also therapeutic.
- Place a clean washcloth (100% cotton) under very hot tap water (or shower water) until it is completely soaked and quickly wring it out.
- Then put it on your face, and start breathing underneath. This will create steam against the skin to remove the oils and any impurities in the skin. Leave it for about a minute or two.
- Repeat if needed. Gently remove any remaining oil.
Voila! Your skin feels clean, hydrated and so smooth! You just got a small little spa day and for very cheap!