October 19, 2017
In my house mornings can get a bit tricky. Everyone is tired, the kids are cranky, some of us are ravenous, and others aren’t hungry at all. With this quinoa oatmeal recipe I have found a way to please everyone. Bigger portions for the hungry ones, just a few bites for the ones still sleepwalking. I usually keep the recipe simple and just add toppings to taste. Other days I add ingredients right in the batch while it’s cooking and everyone is usually happy….well, as happy as they can be in the morning. And I feel good about sending everyone off to start their day well nourished.
Start Your Morning On The Right Note
So here is the basic recipe that can be transformed in so many different ways. This recipe feeds about 4 people, depending on appetite of course!
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 1tsp organic coconut oil
- 1C steel-cut oats
- 1tbsp organic coconut sugar
- 1/2C almond or coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oil and add the oats
- Toast them for about 2 minutes
- Add the water, quinoa and coconut sugar and bring to a boil
- Once it starts to boil turn the temp down and let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes
- When fully cooked add the non-dairy milk and salt to taste
- This is where the fun comes in
- Get creative and try new flavours
- My personal favourite is apple cinnamon, I shred a little bit of apple into the mix and a few shakes of cinnamon
- So delicious!!
- Another great combo is crushed walnut and maple syrup
- The kids love adding berries to theirs
- We switch it up to keep from getting too bored!
We find this recipe so easy for the mornings. Get the oatmeal started, use the cooking time to get ready and eat a nutritious breakfast. And let’s be honest, I love that this is a one dish meal. Less dishes is always a bonus.