December 9, 2017
Baked Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
This is a simple, easy recipe that my husband and I love to make for ourselves. When we are having company, it is one that I always get lots of compliments for, but with very little effort. It is a great alternative to regular pasta and is a good source of protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This recipe feeds 2 people.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic peeled & chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup red, green or yellow pepper chopped
- 1 large can of stewed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes cut up very fine)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¾-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾-1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash spaghetti squash and spray a baking sheet with a thin layer of cooking oil. Place squash halves cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake squash 35-45 minutes, or until a knife can easily be inserted. Remove from oven to cool.
- While the squash is cooking, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until golden brown then add in the mushrooms and peppers and cook until slightly softened. Stir in the tomatoes and spices and simmer for about 15 minutes or until your sauce has thickened.
- Remove squash strands with a fork, taking the ‘spaghetti’ out of the shell and putting it into a bowl. Once your shell has been cleaned out, start to layer each shell with a layer of spaghetti sauce, a layer of spaghetti squash strands and a layer of parmesan cheese. Continue layering until shells are full and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese has melted.
- This can be paired with garlic bread, salad, or just eaten alone.